Dublin Local Time

Thursday, 17th October 2019

Perth Local Time

Thursday, 17th October 2019

Employment Information

Most temporary visa holders have work rights, although some classes of visas only allow limited work rights.
Example: Working Holiday visas and Student visas

Department of Immigration Skills List

Working in Australia Information

Working Legally in Australia

Things you need to know

Applying for a Tax File Number TFN or Australian Business Number (ABN)

The annual dates for the Australian income year are from 1 July to 30 June. This is important to note for anyone moving to the country as these dates may not coincide with those from your home country

If you are a permanent migrant or temporary working visitor to Australia you can apply online at www.ato.gov.au any time after entering the country. To apply online you need a valid passport or relevant travel documents and must be either:

  • Authorised to work in Australia by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC)
  • Have a valid overseas student visa or allowed to remain here indefinitely.

If you do not have access to the internet, you can visit an ATO shopfront or public internet facility.

The Australian business number (ABN) is the identifying number that businesses use when dealing with other businesses. If you are self-employed you will need an ABN on your invoices or other documents relating to sales that you make to other businesses/individuals.

You are not required to have a tax file number (TFN) to register for an ABN. However, having a TFN reduces the risk of administrative errors when dealing with the tax office.

To apply for an ABN log onto www.ato.gov.au

Annual Leave

standard entitlement is four weeks per year, after the first year with a company. The first year’s annual leave is pro-rated for the amount of time with the company. Most public employees or ‘servants’ receive five weeks of annual leave. In addition, the standard working week in Australia is 38.5 hours.

Casual workers receive higher rates of hourly pay to compensate for the lack of annual leave, whereas those who work part-time, such as students, are given a pro-rated amount of annual leave based on the hours worked.

A typical allowance for sick leave is 10 days, and one or two days for compassionate leave. Public servants, again, typically receive more generous benefits. Leave days tend to carry forward, however sick leave is rarely paid out in the case of a worker leaving a company.

Long Service Leave (LSL) is often available to encourage workers to stay long-term with a company, as they are paid out after 10 years. LSL is accrued for all workers, from full-time to causal. It accrues at a rate of one week for every 60 weeks of employment with a single employer. This means, in most cases, that you could expect to receive around 13 weeks of leave after 15 years of employment


Superannuation is mandatory in Australia. Superannuation itself is a type of pension plan for employees that can be accessed when an employee retires.

At the present time, the laws propel the employer to contribute 9% of an employee's wages automatically into a pension fund. If working in Australia on a temporary resident visa, your superannuation money may be available to you upon departure from the country.

More information can be found on the Australian Taxation Office website

Job Search Sites


Jobsearch Perth


West Jobs

All Jobs

Career One